Well, we are now in the home stretch if I can keep my moral up. I am doing my taxes now so that remains to be seen. Anyway, I have been playing with where and how I want to place the individual elements and working on finishing the Carrie Fisher portrait. I have been tweaking some areas of Carrie’s face given some ideas I had on improving the transitions. The results were good but now I need to get to work on the hair to pull it all together. From there it is a matter of adding her to the background and playing with some ideas I have for effects. All in all, some of the hardest parts are done.
For this week’s $5 reward I uploaded a copy of some fox kits I started working on in watercolor but did not finish. I keep using the wrong paper for working watercolor because I do not like the feel of the paper that should be used. Sigh. Anyway, the image is not too bad and shows some potential. In addition, I uploaded a copy of the Y-Wing image above. For the most part it is the finished version of the ones I will use in the Carrie Fisher tribute I have been working on. I may tweak it a little more but not a lot.
The reason I did not post yesterday was because I have not been working on my art much lately and chose to paint instead. I let life get in the way. I had hoped to have this on the final background before I posted it again, but I did not get that far. However, I can say that I am ready to set up the final canvas and to begin placing the separate components (Carrie Fisher, Y-Wings, Planet). Hopefully soon I will be sharing the complete picture.
Here is where I am with the Y Wing part of my Carrie Fisher tribute. I have had to back track a few times and undo parts I was not happy with. I finally decided to work from the cockpit backwards, which seems to be working better for me; however, this will never be an honest reproduction. My goal is to create a strong enough image that at a smaller size will not be off so far that it is jarring. I am glad I was able to finally add the R2 unit and I think the cockpit module looks good although I have to place the forward guns yet.
Speaking of Star Wars vehicles, I tried to make my own Imperial Walker out of cardboard from a picture in my vinyl soundtrack slip cover. I never got further than the head but it wasn’t too bad for the time, given I was in junior high. They are the coolest vehicles in the series.
Here is the progress of the pieces that will become my Carrie Fisher tribute. Both are on temporary backgrounds so that I can see the painting better, while Leia is further along, the Y-Wing is still very basic (mostly undercoat). Once i get the y-Wing finished, I can add as many as I like but I am only planning on two right now. I will add exhaust trails when I place them on the space background.
Here is the drawing of the Y-Wing I want to put into my Carrie Fisher tribute. It is only a fair approximation taken from an image at a different angle and I am not a patient draftsman, which is why I generally stay away from mechanical drawings. I am hoping when I get it into gimp that I can soften it to washout some of the poor draftsmanship. I also plan to rotate and make a pair for the painting. Basically, I have to do post production on my canned film. Hopefully you won’t critique too hard on this one. LOL.