Spectacular Speckled Seadragon

 

She is really starting to take shape now as you can see, looking good without needing the sketch to define areas.  If you have noticed, I have skipped over two other works in progress, the Nautilus Shell and the Sea Urchin.  I get like this at times when I am run down.  Sometimes, I need a project with a little more life in it.  I love aspects of the other projects but they were too bland color wise with the urchin being monochrome and the shell a simple color scheme.  So I decided to begin Sarah and as you can see, I am glad I did.

Advertisements

Sarah Swimming Swimmingly

 

 

Try saying that fast.  Anyway, here is the progress I have made and you can see that I changed the background color.  It took a few tries to find a color dark enough to set off here colors while being light enough to see the lines of the drawing for the fins.

Seadragon Awake

 

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while.  There has not been any progress to report about the on going project because work and life in general has been kicking my fanny.  I am really tired and my one foot is seriously been hurting from being on it all day.  I don’t like myself when I get this run down because I start eating too much out of boredom and looking for the energy to combat sleepiness.  I also get very irritable, which makes working on paintings difficult.  However, I just had some days off from work and decided to begin painting Sarah Seadragon.

I jumped away from the Nautilus shell because I needed more color to spark my interest and the Urchin was too monochrome to push on with at this time.  I plan to get back to them, but for now, Sarah takes center stage, appropriate since she is the lead character.  I love how there are subtle suggestions of color everywhere.  Her fins have touches of orange and green in them, while here body transitions from dark blue/black to yellow and back again, with hints of orange too.  I also like how the darker areas feel like they are painted over the yellow, which is why I when for that as the base color.  This looks even better on a dark background but then I cannot see the drawing for reference.  I will switch it later.

 

In addition, I am hoping to spend some time developing the above Moray Eel based dragon into a paintable image.  I had doodled this some time ago trying to come up with a unique idea for a dragon.  I have been trying to come up with a dragon design of my own for several decades now without much success.  For some reason, I seem to have a mental block when it comes to creating my own beastie.  I have been a fan of Michael Whelan’s and M. Pena’s dragons for most of my life and put a lot of pressure upon myself to come up with a fantastic image.  We’ll see.

Say Hello to my Little Friend

This is Sarah Seadragon and she brought along her friend Sheldon Starfish.  I their isn’t actually a character called Sheldon Starfish in my sister’s story but I thought he deserved a name.  He is awfully embarrassed though since he isn’t finish dressing yet and his tentacles aren’t even but you know how kids are.  I am very glad to finally create an image for the main character of Sarah because it means the book can move ahead another step.  I know they don’t look like much yet but wait until the coloring begins.  Sheldon may be shy now but he will be very flamboyant in his red and white colors.  Stay tuned.

Reshaping a Continent and Then the World

Believe it or not, I have made a good bit of headway since my last post; however, like the ocean takes centuries to reshape a continent one wave at a time, so too a painting.  If you enlarge the image in my previous post and this one, you will see lost of subtle changes that take time and patience to achieve.  Importantly, in the lower center, I have been working to make the brown stripes look more translucent.  On the original picture they look almost like a thin wash that allows the underlying shell to come through.  In addition there was another crack to try and replicate along with the fact that there are tons of lines, like tree rings, marking the growth of the shell to add in.  I have only begun to capture all of the that.  Lots of little effects to render the entire painting.  For a while change will appear almost unnoticeable but it will be there if you look closely.  Enjoy.

In a Nutshell or, ahem, a Nautilus Shell

I know it has been a while, but here is the project I am currently working on.  I liked this image of the nautilus shell I found because the stripe pattern makes me think of a tiger, which I am a sucker for.  This is planned to be on a page where the story for Sarah Seadragon  is written as opposed to the images I will use for the actual story.  I just want to add more sea life ambiance to the entire book along with extra learning by putting names under the objects I put on the written pages.

Urgent Urchin Care Needed

 

This is the current project I am working on.  I don’t intend for this one to be as close of a rendition of the subject as the seahorses were because that would be very hard.  My goal here is to capture the feel and look, an impression basically.  I was drawn to this image by the contrast of the dark center ant the lighter spines, which reminds me of a Hostess Sno-Ball.  Also, this image is not part of the story my sister wrote but will be used as background for the story pages that will be opposite the image pages.  It will make sense when I get enough of these images to set up a page.