Heating up the Old Homestead (from my Patreon page)


Been working on the Rodeo rider image and the fires of hell are spreading.  Here is an updated image.  There are several other elements on the canvas, including a story, that I have turned off so you can work on the background.  Yes, you heard me right, there is a story in this painting.  Funny thing, when I first decided to create this picture for a friend, I got the idea to create a short story to go with the image.  At the time, I had painted the image on canvas with acrylic paint, intending to create a print with the story included.  Unfortunately, I was not as happy with the painting as I wanted to be and could not figure out or afford to get a print made the way I wanted.  Now that I am doing the image digitally, pow, I can put the story into the image.  I will be curious as to how well it will print.  For now, the story is on a layer I have turned off.  The story and the painting will both be titled “Rodeo”.


Interesting note:  I also intended to create t-shirts with the original image and story on them.  I actually managed to have one made after I got the copyrights back.  Whether I will try with the new version will depend on response to the final painting.

Tinkering with Demons (from my Patreon page)


While I continue to prepare the pieces to the Cheetah painting, I am back to working on an older painting called Rodeo.  I put it a side because I could not get comfortable with the background I wanted.  I moved the painting onto a larger canvas and started playing with the background after finding some reference images for caverns because this takes place in Hell and I wanted a dark luridly lit scene.  Here is what I have so far.

Brave New Worlds (from my Patreon page)

Mercury courtesy of NASA


Finished what I needed for the Cheetah drawing tonight so I went looking for images of Mercury for an eye.  One of the things I have truly enjoyed about creating this series is that it gives me a reason to poke around in NASA files of their exploration of the solar system.  I used to keep up on this stuff because I am technically a space nut.  Painting the planets has been a real treat for me, as well as, reading up on the missions and how long they take.  The Messenger mission that produced the images I will use for Mercury was launched in 2004, did not really start its mission until 2011, and ended the mission by crashing on Mercury on April 30, 2015.  Wow.

This Week’s $5 Reward (from my Patreon page)

Here is what I posted about the attached image:


This week’s reward is a pencil sketch I did some time ago but I think the idea behind it is more and more important today.  It depicts creators and their creations.  The background is a giant eye representing God.  The foreground is a set of hands reaching out to clasp.  One is human the other is robotic.  Will we treat our creations with love or exploitation?  Will we consider the responsibility attached to the act of creation or will it just be about profit margins?  Heavy things to think about.  What do you think was on God’s mind?

Faster than a Speeding Bullet (from my Patreon page)

I have decided that I am very much in the mood to work on another image in my “It’s all Connected” series so tonight I started drawing the cheetah for the image.  I know I had intended to jump into the Gus Grissom tribute but I just not ready for it yet.  The big sticking point for me is getting the image of the recovered Mercury capsule right and you know how I feel about mechanical drawing.  I may work on the drawings for that painting as I am working on the cheetah.  I need to keep moving instead of getting locked up by something that is not working yet.  I have always been like this.  I would not make a good graphic artist.  Anyway, here is the beginning of the image.  Also, you may see a new color pencil piece in here somewhere.  I had a dove all fluffed up from a rain shower sitting on my back porch.  I thought it would make a good subject to practice pencils on.

Blink of an Eye (from my Patreon page)

I spent some time this morning searching the internet for the next animal to paint for my “It’s all Connected” series and decided upon a Cheetah.  I was looking for endangered desert animals and was surprised to find out that the Sahara desert had cheetahs, which turned out to be more than perfect since the planets for this image will be Mercury and Venus.  I was looking at desert animals because I wanted to represent the heat of being so close to the sun but also got a bonus with the cheetah.  Mercury is also a messenger of the old Greek Gods who is fleet of foot, being depicted with winged shoes.  Well, the cheetah is living speed, perfect fit.

I already pulled down some reference pictures and very much look forward to working on this one because of the distinctive face markings.  I have to go back later today and look for some Mercury and Venus images for the eyes.

Holy Chicken Fence Batman!!!

You are getting two posts this morning.  The first is a link to an igmur post I found on my Facebook page this morning that blew me away.  It is about a sculptor who creates larger than life sculptures of animals out of what appears to be chicken fencing.  See for yourself:

Igmur post about Sculptor Kendra Haste.