This is Sarah Seadragon and she brought along her friend Sheldon Starfish. I their isn’t actually a character called Sheldon Starfish in my sister’s story but I thought he deserved a name. He is awfully embarrassed though since he isn’t finish dressing yet and his tentacles aren’t even but you know how kids are. I am very glad to finally create an image for the main character of Sarah because it means the book can move ahead another step. I know they don’t look like much yet but wait until the coloring begins. Sheldon may be shy now but he will be very flamboyant in his red and white colors. Stay tuned.
Believe it or not, I have made a good bit of headway since my last post; however, like the ocean takes centuries to reshape a continent one wave at a time, so too a painting. If you enlarge the image in my previous post and this one, you will see lost of subtle changes that take time and patience to achieve. Importantly, in the lower center, I have been working to make the brown stripes look more translucent. On the original picture they look almost like a thin wash that allows the underlying shell to come through. In addition there was another crack to try and replicate along with the fact that there are tons of lines, like tree rings, marking the growth of the shell to add in. I have only begun to capture all of the that. Lots of little effects to render the entire painting. For a while change will appear almost unnoticeable but it will be there if you look closely. Enjoy.
I know it has been a while, but here is the project I am currently working on. I liked this image of the nautilus shell I found because the stripe pattern makes me think of a tiger, which I am a sucker for. This is planned to be on a page where the story for Sarah Seadragon is written as opposed to the images I will use for the actual story. I just want to add more sea life ambiance to the entire book along with extra learning by putting names under the objects I put on the written pages.